Thank you for your thoughts and prayers for our little girl! She made it through surgery with flying colors!
(Sorry if I am a little vague on this post--this post has been composed with lots of cutting and pasting of various emails I have sent out via Blackberry and my hands hurt.)
Emma went into surgery yesterday to remove a recurrent brain tumor. Surgery lasted for about 6 hours and she did very well. The neurosurgeon, Dr. Andrew Jea (a.k.a "surgery god" a la Grey's-of course) removed the entire tumor! He said he thinks he got it all. ALL of it! Best part is that Em still seems to have all of her motor functions intact though we are watching her eyes to see when the movement will return.
I am just thankful that she can still move arms and legs, swallow and breathe on her own, and we can still hear her sweet voice. Last night she was singing and clapping, and talking about snow. I know her guardian angels are talking her through this right now. She is so amazing!
We are still in the PICU, waiting on a post-op MRI this afternoon to see how her brain is doing and if all of the tumor is completely gone. After the scan we should move up to the recovery floor where we expect to be for up to 10 days.
The baby is due 8 days from now, but we are hoping that he will "stay in his womb" (ha ha) until we get home with Emma. Fingers crossed. As expected, we are exhausted! We stayed the night at the hospital, me at the Ronald McDonald House, stretched out in a bed; Mike in a chair all night by her bedside. Neither of us slept.
Thanks for keeping Emma in your prayers. When I get to an actual computer, I will elaborate on this post if I have the energy. We are still in good spirits, albeit exhausted, but super elated nonetheless! Go Emma! And thank you God!
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
11 comments:
I am so thankful to hear that Emma is doing well. I met Mike in Houston, TX when my son and I were there visiting my dad (Cliff Miller) and brothers (Matt and Christoph Miller). I have been praying for your family and I am thankful for this blog so I can stay up to date on her status. Please know we are here if you ever want to talk.
Brittany Spence
www.forrestspencefund.com
How wonderful!!! Prayers have been answered. Give my girl all my love. Can't wait to see her smiling face.
Love to all,
Frances "Granny" Miller
We are thinking of ya'll and of course praying for you everyday. Although Logan hasn't seen Emma in a long time, he still remembers her! How could you not - she's a doll!
I know it's hard to put out updates to everyone, but it's nice being able to read about what is going on thru your blog! Hang in there girl!
Valerie Landry - and Logan and Brooke
I'm so glad that Emma is doing well. She's a tough girl and will be a gorgeous big sister to her new brother.
Thinking of you and your family all the way from Doha, Qatar.
Roxanne
Yeaaaa! What good news! and what a brave girl she is! Don't you know, nothing will ever stand in her way in life!
Christina
I guess she'll be out of the hospital soon! Good to hear that she's doing well.
Julia D.C.
your sweet emma's story has really touched my heart. i started following your blog a couple of weeks ago and I just wanted you to know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
May God give you peace and understanding while going through this time. Please visit my late cousin's website and you WILL find support and strength from your fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
www.connorcruse.org
He was a fighter and Emma will be as well! Bless you
Heather
So thankful that she came through surgery well!! I pray you'll all be home in time for that new baby to be born! (Congrats!)
My husband and I often slept the exact same way while our son was in the hospital. Him at the hospital next to his side, me at the Ronald McDonald House with our other children. Sleepless nights when I wasn't right there by my sons side.
Sending you all well wishes!
The Blanket Fairy's Christmas in July
Hi this post is for parents to sign their children up for Christmas in July. This is good for Pediatric Cancer Patients located in the United States. I will leave this post open until we have filled all of the spot or until May 15th 2010. I have families that have volunteered to "adopt" a pediatric cancer patient. Only the parents can sign their children up. My volunteers will get your little one a special gift, wrap it and have it shipped to them for Christmas in July. These gifts will come from smoke free homes. This will give your angel something to look foward to. There will be some requirements.
1. Parents must give me a blog or fan page something showing information on their child. I do post all blogs on this site to help raise awareness on Pediatric Cancers and to get some prayers sent your way.
2. Parents must have their child submit a letter with their requests of what they would like or favorite characters etc. to The Blanket Fairy.(parents can email me this letter to kimortega@msn.com) Please put in the SUBJECT LINE: Christmas in July Letter to The Blanket Fairy so it catches my eye. I will need a mailing address for your child, this information will be fowarded to the family that is "adopting" your child for Christmas in July. All letters must be submitted to me by May 15th.
3. Parents will be required to email me a picture of your child with their present from their adoptive family. This is so everyone can see the joy on your child's face when they get their present!
I hope this is not asking alot of the parents but this is something I would like to do every year and pictures speak a thousand words and to earn the trust of my volunteers and people that help donate this is why I am asking for pictures. Without my fans I would not be able to do all of this. Thank you everyone for your support.
If you want to sign your child up please do so by leaving a comment here on this discussion. Please when signing your child up leave a blog website, your childs name, age and what state you live in please. This is the only way I will be keeping track of who is signing up. I can't wait to see the pictures of your children with their present! If you have any questions please feel free to email me.
Thanks
Kim Ortega (aka: The Blanket Fairy)
Here is the link you need to sign your child up at.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blanket-Fairy/490397070410?v=app_2373072738#!/topic.php?uid=490397070410&topic=13846
Congratulations on the new baby boy and Ema doing so great with surgery! Ever since seeing Ema for therapy I have thought about you all and wondered how you are doing! I came across this slip of paper with your blog spot address on it and tucked beside my computer. Every time I think of you all I can peek at your page and see that she is okay :-) Keep going Ema and her whole cheering squad! Cherish every moment, they grow up so fast :-) Hugs!
Brittany Young, DPT
previous student therapist of Miss Ema Maltbie :-)
Post a Comment